In 2014, over 3,000 cyclists were seriously injured or killed in biking accidents. Biking is fun, a great way to stay healthy and good for the environment, but there are certain dangers involved as well. To avoid becoming a statistic, take care to follow safe practices while biking. Below are five tips for staying safe while biking, courtesy of your local bike repair service in Boca Raton, FL:
- Get a bike that fits your body: If your bike doesn’t fit your body, the result can be anything from unnecessary pressure on your joints to a serious back injury. It’s important that you not only choose a bike that fits your body and your biking terrain, but that you have it properly adjusted. At Bicycle Doctor Inc. – House Calls, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect bike and adjust it to fit your body.
- Always wear a helmet: When biking, always wear your helmet, no matter how short the ride. This may seem obvious, yet 85 percent of biking deaths are due to head injuries. Be sure to get a certified helmet that fits properly. Your helmet should sit level on your head and be secured well enough to resist even a violent jolt without moving. A poorly fitted helmet can be worse than no helmet at all.
- Make sure you’re visible: Bright clothing is a must for daytime bike riding. You can also get a flag to mount on your bike for extra daytime visibility. At night, it’s much harder for drivers to see you, which is why it’s even more important to use visibility aids. Wear reflective clothing and use reflectors on your front and rear spokes and pedals. For extra visibility, you can invest in front and rear lights as well.
- Be smart about when you bike: To avoid accidents, it’s best to avoid biking at certain times of day. Biking at night is always more dangerous, so it’s best to get your ride in during daytime hours. Morning and afternoon rush hours are also times of day you may want to avoid. Best times for bike riding are early mornings and evenings.
- Obey traffic rules: Some bicyclists tend to think that the rules of the road don’t apply to them, but traffic rules are there to protect you. Using proper signaling when biking, following signs and traffic lights and being aware of the other vehicles around you are essential to your safety.
As your local bike repair service in Boca Raton, FL, we encourage all Florida residents to get out there and discover the joys of biking, but we also want you to stay safe while doing so. By following our basic safety tips, you can enjoy all the benefits of biking without having to worry about becoming a statistic. If you want to know more about safe biking and finding a bike that works for you, make a call to Bicycle Doctor Inc. – House Calls today and speak to one of our experts!