Your wheelchair is a tool for independence and freedom of movement, and like any high-use item, it requires maintenance and repair. It is a good idea to avoid delaying wheelchair repair in Boca Raton, FL when you need it, because a full failure could leave you stuck. Here are five signs you need us to make a house call to check out your wheelchair:
- Difficult to adjust: Unless you are lucky enough to have a custom-made model, your wheelchair likely requires adjustments. Sometimes, this depends on your activity. For example, you may need a different chair position when you go to the grocery store than when you are cruising down a paved path. If the chair makes grinding or squeaking noises, or fails to adjust at all, it is likely time to call us for repair. Otherwise, you will not enjoy the full use of your chair and may struggle to finish day-to-day tasks.
- Unpleasant ride: Feeling every bump as you transport yourself is never fun. It is like driving a car with bad shocks—you jostle around and feel irritated at best, or doubt your security at worst. Your wheelchair should give you a smooth ride. When it starts bumping around and making you feel like every trip or errand is an earthquake, it is time to examine your tires and wheels. Tire changes are routine with cars, bikes and motorcycles, and your wheelchair is not much different. If it is time for this repair, it will improve your ride significantly.
- Battery shortcomings: Like smartphones, laptop computers or tablets, the battery in your wheelchair also wears out. Eventually, it will stop holding a charge well, so you need to restore power more frequently. Sometimes, you discover it no longer charges at all! Batteries offer a lifespan of two to three years, and if you are on the latter end of that, changing it out is a reasonable precaution. The last thing you need is to get stuck on public transportation or while out and about. As soon as your battery no longer behaves reliably, give us a call.
- Difficult to maneuver: If your wheelchair pulls to one side and makes it difficult to maneuver in smaller spaces, you may have an alignment issue. Going over debris, potholes and bumps can knock it out of alignment and make every errand or day out a struggle. This is also a very sensitive problem because if you or a family member try to repair it without professional assistance, your wheelchair may remain misaligned forever. Do not settle for this condition. Get it repaired as soon as possible.
- Worn seats: You spend a lot of time in your wheelchair, and it is understandable that friction and use will also affect the upholstery. Nylon seats can last a long while, but even these show wear and tear eventually. Improving the seats and upholstery assures the wheelchair can continue to hold you up as you go about your life. Also, it helps your wheelchair look better and addresses any odors imbedded in your upholstery.
Bicycle Doctor Inc. – House Calls offers fast and effective wheelchair repair in Boca Raton, FL. Enjoy this convenience and a better operating chair by calling us today for an appointment.