Having bicycle parts fail is not just annoying. In fact, pulling over to deal with the shortcoming is the best-case scenario, even if you end up walking your bike back to your car or home. If the wrong part lets you down, it could cause an accident if you fall in the path of another bicyclist or even a car. The best way to avoid catastrophic events is to be aware of any shortcomings and watch essential parts. Here are five bicycle parts in Boca Raton, FL to watch closely:
- Tires: A tire blowout can be disastrous, especially if you are riding in a group or on a busy street. Do not ride when the tread is worn down, especially on wet streets. You can slip or, at the very least, suffer a rough ride. If a tire is failing to hold air or you have almost no tread, you need to replace it. Otherwise, you are a wreck waiting to happen!
- Brake pads: If you cannot stop, you are a hazard to yourself and others. Brake pads are in contact with your rim, and while bikes are not made to stop suddenly, you still need the ability to come to an effective stop. The friction involved with braking eventually wears down the pads and makes it impossible to stop. When it takes more squeezing to activate brakes or you find it is a struggle to stop, address this immediately.
- The chain: Bicycle chains generally last 1,500 to 2,500 miles. There are bicycle odometers and odometer apps available to help you keep track. However, the best gauge of bicycle chain quality is how it is working. When mechanisms feel loose as you ride and the chain continually falls off, it is time to replace it. Bicycle chains can also break and make matters even worse. Since this can stop you dead in your tracks and cause a domino effect of crashes if riding in a group, address it immediately.
- Cassette gears: The cassette refers to the gear cluster at the back wheel. Your chain connects to it and, eventually, the cassette and chain wear themselves out. If you keep these clean and lubricated, you will help both parts last longer. When your cassette gears start wearing out, you lose performance, which may not cause a wreck, but will make it difficult to keep up with groups or with the flow of traffic—another situation that leaves you vulnerable. Cassette gears and chains are normally replaced together, so if one is malfunctioning, chances are, the other is either compromised or not far behind in joining the state of ill repair.
- Chainrings: The chainrings are the front gears. They also wear out in similar ways as the cassette gears and the chain. Just as with those parts, this will also reduce performance and response time, which puts you behind the pack or acting merely as a traffic hazard. You can keep chainrings lasting a long while if you clean and lubricate them. However, there will be a point where they are too significantly worn and need replacement.
Bicycle Doctor Inc. – House Calls offers repairs and bicycle parts in Boca Raton, FL. Call us today if you require assistance with your bike.
Categorised in: Bike Parts
This post was written by admin