Seven Essential Tips to Prepare Your Bike for WinterNovember 17, 2017 7:05 pm Leave your thoughts
Whether you will be riding this winter or storing your bike away until spring, it’s important to prepare all of your bike parts in Boca Raton, FL for the season. Making a few minor efforts will keep your bike in top shape and keep you safer during your rides. Use the following tips to properly prep your bike for the winter:
- Clean it: Yes, it will only get dirty again, but this is an important aspect of good bike maintenance. Clean parts function more smoothly and efficiently. Cleaning your bike parts in Boca Raton, FL also makes it easier to see mechanical defects. After a long summer of riding, give your bike a thorough cleaning before you ride into the winter. If you will be storing your bike, cleaning it now will be much easier than allowing summer mud to cake on all winter.
- Service it: Now that your bike is clean, you can get a good look at your individual bike parts in Boca Raton, FL. Check to ensure everything is in good working order. Inspect the bearings. Check the chain for signs of wear. Inspect the brake and gear cables. If you aren’t comfortable performing these steps yourself, a shop specializing in bicycle parts in Boca Raton, FL can assist you with a quick tune-up service.
- Mudguard it: A pair of mudguards will make your winter riding more pleasant for yourself and your riding buddies. Many bikes have mudguard eyelets. Simply fit heavy-duty mudguards or clip-on mudguards onto your bike. Ensure you leave enough clearance for the tires. A rear mud flap is also a nice feature to protect riders behind you from getting a splash of mud from your bike.
- Tire it: Consider investing in a good pair of winter tires for the season. These offer extra layers of puncture protection. You don’t want to be stuck on the side of the road fixing a tire in the winter. For increased comfort and ease, choose wider tires. These offer better grip in wet conditions.
- Wrap it: No, don’t wrap all your bike parts in Boca Raton, FL for winter. To improve the comfort of winter riding, just double wrap your bar tape. This provides extra cushioning for rough-road winter riding. Gel tape offers even more padding. Your hands will thank you in the spring.
- Light it: Winter means less daylight. A good pair of lights is essential for a winter bike. Attach a front and rear light to ensure visibility during gloomy weather, early morning or night rides. Having a backup light is also a good idea, in case the battery on one of the main lights dies.
- Wheel it: Have you invested in an expensive set of wheels for your bicycle? Consider switching these out for winter. They will get extremely dirty, the bearings are likely to wear out faster and they may not stop well in the wet weather. Use a cheaper set for the winter to spare your nice wheels from the harsh months.
If you need assistance with winterizing your bike parts in Boca Raton, FL, bring your ride into your local bike shop. We will inspect your bike and make the proper recommendations, repairs or adjustments to properly prepare you for the season.
Categorised in: Bike Parts
This post was written by admin