Every cyclist can’t wait for clear skies and the warm temperatures that are ideal for taking a long bike ride. Whether you commute, ride for fun or do it for exercise, you’ll want to make sure your bike is in the best condition possible. After all, it’s safer and more fun to ride a bike that you know is working properly.
Today we’ll go over some ways to make sure your bike is ready to ride. And if you find that your bike needs a bit more care, then you should see a professional for a little bike maintenance in Boca Raton, FL:
- Clean it up: It’s always a good idea to keep your bike clean, especially after it’s been in storage for several months. Wipe down the bike with a rag to get rid of dirt. You’ll also want to check the brake cables and chains for rust. Rust may be a sign that you need to replace the cables or chain. You’ll also want to make sure that the cables don’t need to be loosened or tightened.
- Check nuts, bolts, the fork and tires: Take a look at all the nuts and bolts on the bike. Are they rusty? Do they need to be tightened? How about the fork? Is it properly placed and affixed to your front wheel? Lastly, you’ll want to check your tires. It’s likely that they’ll need some air if the bike hasn’t been used in a while. These steps are important for keeping your bike safe.
- Lubricate the chain: First, use a degreasing solvent to wipe down the chain. Then apply a chain lubricant. Use a rag to make sure the lubricant is evenly distributed.
- Take it for a test spin: Once you feel like the bike is in working order, go around the block a couple of times. This way you can test the gears to make sure they’re working smoothly. If the gears are skipping, this could be a sign of a problem that you’ll want to have checked out.
- Get a tune-up: If you put a lot of miles on your bike, it’s smart to have a technician look at it regularly. They can provide expert guidance on how to best maintain your bike and what to look out for. If the bike already has a problem, then it’s time to take it in for servicing.
Just as a doctor would help you with preventative health maintenance, a bicycle mechanic can help you with bike maintenance in Boca Raton, FL. Check out what Bicycle Doctor, Inc. – House Calls has to offer. Our repair services have a reputation for being highly professional and competitively priced. From brakes and gear adjustments to wheel alignments and safety checks, we do it all. Our technicians have more than three decades of experience, so you’ll know that your bike is in good hands. We also sell and rent a variety of bicycles, electric scooters, wheelchairs and electric bicycles. Call us today to set up an appointment with one of our friendly experts!
Categorised in: Bicycle Maintenance
This post was written by Writer