During the summer months, you’re likely going to want to put some miles on your bike. After all, warm, dry weather is perfect for riding! But the fact is that summer can also be a dangerous time to ride. There are risks to your health you need to plan for. Safe biking in Boca Raton, FL is possible with some planning ahead of time. Here are some ways to beat the heat while still enjoying your bike this summer:
- Drink water: On hot days, you’re going to sweat a lot, so you need to replace those fluids. Make sure you bring an adequate water supply and drink plenty of it so that you avoid heatstroke and dehydration. A good rule of thumb is to take about a liter of water for every mile you plan to bike. The last thing you want is to get out there and realize you don’t have enough water.
- Apply sunscreen: Just like your mother always told you, putting on sunscreen before you go out on a hot, sunny day is important. If you don’t put on sunscreen, not only will you get a sunburn, but you’ll put yourself at greater risk for skin diseases and cancers like melanoma. When you’re riding for an extended period of time and sweating, you’ll want to reapply frequently. Bring along a high-SPF sunscreen and use it often.
- Don’t push yourself too hard: Trying to set a personal record on a hot and sunny day might not be the best strategy. Take it easy while going up hills, and take more frequent breaks in the shade than you usually do. Save those tougher rides for when the weather cools down a bit.
- Dress appropriately: You’ll want to wear lightweight, breathable clothing that provides good ventilation to keep you cooler. Clothes with sweat-wicking qualities will also keep you drier. You’ll also want to bring sunglasses. The sun’s UV rays are liable to damage your eyes unless you have adequate protection.
- Wear insect repellant: Everyone knows that summer is the worst for mosquitoes. Apply insect repellant to your legs and arms before you take off to ensure you don’t return covered in nasty bites.
- Go at the right time of day: The middle of the day is probably the worst time you could go out for a ride, as this is when it’s hottest. Instead, try going for an early morning ride while it’s still cool. An evening ride is also a smart choice.
For expert guidance in safe biking in Boca Raton, FL, see the friendly professionals at Bicycle Doctor Inc. – House Calls. We’re proud to serve all of South Florida with top-of-the-line bicycles and scooters, along with excellent repair services via our mobile shop. We even make house calls for your convenience. From brakes and gear adjustments to wheel alignments, safety checks and much more, we’re here to deliver nothing short of the highest level of technical skills and customer satisfaction. Call us today to find out how we can help you!
Categorised in: Safe Biking
This post was written by Writer