There’s little more fun and relaxing than taking your bicycle out on the open road for a nice spin. Of course, all that enjoyment evaporates the moment you break the bike rules of the road in Boca Raton, FL and end up with a ticket, in an accident or worse! Here are some tips to consider for those people who might need to brush up on the safety rules of riding a bicycle in traffic and on the street.
Your bike is a vehicle
Avid riders might read the above sentence and think, “Of course it is!” However, there is more to that distinction than you might at first think. Per Florida state law, bicyclists are considered a vehicle in the same way that cars and trucks are. That classification means you’re entitled to the same treatment level and expectation of safety as any motor vehicle. It also means you’re expected to follow all of the same regulations and signals that govern other vehicles. No riding between lanes or running red lights.
The Florida specifics
When you’re navigating traffic in Florida, there are other rules you’ll need to follow to stay on the right side of the law. Here are the most important:
- Your bicycle seat must be in a fixed position on your bike.
- Your bike cannot have more passengers than it was designed for. (Keep people off the handlebars!)
- You must have one hand on your bicycle’s handlebars at all times.
- You should have a set of brakes that is capable of stopping your bike “within 25 feet (assuming a traveling speed of 10 miles per hour on dry, level and clean pavement).”
- You should never ride your bike while intoxicated. Do not drink and pedal.
It’s also expected that any parents riding along with their children will ensure the kids follow the rules of the road, too.
The bike rules of the road in Boca Raton, FL aren’t the only considerations to keep in mind while you’re out biking. To get the most from your rides, you should also keep the following necessary safety precautions in mind:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Consider wearing bright or reflective clothing, especially if you’ll be bicycling in the evening.
- Ride at a safe speed.
- Always ride along with the flow of traffic.
- Yield to vehicles.
That said, the most important safety measure you can take when heading out for a bicycle ride is ensuring your bike is well tended and safe to ride.
Your bike doctor
If you need more tips for how to ride a bike in traffic in Boca Raton, FL, reach out to Bicycle Doctor House Calls. Since we opened our doors in 1972, we have taken pleasure in educating our clients as we help maintain and build their bikes. Our expertise doesn’t stop there, however. Besides bicycles, we also sell, repair and rent electric scooters, electric bicycles and wheelchairs. Pick up the phone and give us a call today. We can’t wait to help you.
Categorised in: Bike Safety
This post was written by Writer