Get Your Bike Ready for Summer by Visiting Your Bicycle Repair Shop in Boca Raton, FLMay 24, 2017 5:16 pm Leave your thoughts
Summer is almost here! Soon you’ll be cruising down the beach on your bike or cycling down the road on a warm summer morning. But don’t strap on your helmet just yet—your bicycle requires regular maintenance and repair, especially if it’s been sitting in storage for a few months during the winter season. Having your bike maintained by your favorite bicycle repair shop in Boca Raton, FL will ensure that you are ready to ride once summer officially hits.
Here are a few different repairs to cross off your list to get your bike ready for summer:
- Air up: Your bike tires are probably a little low, or even flat if your bike has been sitting untouched in the garage for the past few months. Over time, bike tires will gradually leak air regardless of whether they’re being regularly used. Pay special attention for the sound of escaping air as you pump your tires. If you hear the telltale sounds of a leak, take your bike into a repair shop to have it patched up or for a replacement tube if necessary. Better to find that leak now instead of getting a flat while you’re miles away from home.
- Check the brake levers: Pull each brake lever to check that both sides of the brakes on each wheel are properly engaged. The brakes should not stick and should be able to easily fully stop the spinning wheel. This is also the best time to have a frayed or sticky cable replaced at your local bicycle repair shop in Boca Raton, FL.
- Replace worn brake pads: After checking the levers, shift your focus to the brake pads. The brake pads should press against the rim when activated, without any wiggling. Find the grooves on your current brake pads. If you can’t locate them, it’s time to install a new set.
- Check your chain: A too-loose chain could unexpectedly pop off while you’re riding, which can be very dangerous. Check the tension on the chain by pressing your finger against the top chain. The chain shouldn’t move more than a quarter or half an inch during this test. Anything looser than that needs to be tightened to keep you safe on the road.
- Inspect the spokes: A smooth ride depends on straight spokes. Lift each wheel off the ground and spin it to tell if they are still straight after a few months off. Examine the tightness of the spoke by running your fingers across them. Then, use a spoke wrench to tighten any loose spokes at the base if the wheel appears warped or wobbly. Consult your local bicycle repair shop in Boca Raton, FL if you’re not sure how to properly perform this task.
Don’t have the time to perform your own pre-summer bike maintenance? Drop your bike off at Bicycle Doctor, Inc. – House Calls today and we’ll get it done for you. We also offer mobile repair services from our mobile bike repair shop. Call us today to schedule a tune-up time!
Categorised in: Bike Repair
This post was written by admin