Bicycling is becoming an increasingly reliable and viable way to travel for both leisure and work. A constant concern of avid cyclists, however, is the safety of their precious pedaled devices. Thankfully, a visit to one of your local bike shops can help you to keep your cycle safe and secure!
- Always lock your frame: Simply looping a lock around the front wheel of a cycle is a common mistake that many novice cyclists make when parking their bike. Ensure that the lock is securely fastened to your bike’s frame to actually prevent theft from occurring.
- Use the right kind of lock: Cable locks should only be used in conjunction with sturdier U-locks. When implemented by themselves, cable locks can be easily cut with a pair of formidable wire sheers. Ask the staff at your local bike shop in Boca Raton, FL about what types of locking mechanisms work best in your area.
- Secure your bike: Always secure your cycle to something immobile. Locking to signposts or trees can make theft easier. Whenever possible, park on sturdy, officially sanctioned bike racks for best results.
- Park in a visible location: Choosing a proper location to park your bike is important. Ideal parking spots are usually located in high-traffic, high-visibility areas with lots of natural lighting. Parking near security or police offices can also provide your cycle with an added layer of protection.
- Move your cycle: Rotating your parking spot can be important, especially if you cycle as part of your daily commute. Thieves can identify patterns in your behavior, and know when your cycle will be left alone the longest. Routinely changing up your parking spot can discourage theft.
- Avoid crowded racks: Avoid selecting a parking space that is next to a large number of other cycles. Crowded bike racks can provide cover for would-be thieves, even in high-visibility locales. Even if there are nicer bikes on the rack in question, you never know which cycle thieves may attempt to target.
- Take easily removed items: Take lights, saddles and other easily removed accessories from your bicycle whenever you park it. If your front wheel is easily removed, it should generally be carried with you as well.
- Note your serial number: Whenever you purchase a new cycle, take detailed records of its description and serial number. This can make it easier to track in case it is eventually stolen. Regularly photographing your bike can also make it easier to help law enforcement track down your stolen cycle.
- Registering your cycle: Register your bike with local law enforcement or online services, such as the Bike Index. These platforms make it more difficult for thieves to sell expensive stolen cycles to bike shops, and can make it easier to recover your bicycle in case it is stolen.
Bicycle Doctor, Inc. – House Calls is a bike shop in Boca Raton, FL, serving the city and surrounding communities with sales of bicycles, scooters and electric bikes. We also offer mobile repair services. To learn more about the best ways to safeguard your cycle, reach out to a member of our talented team today!
Categorised in: Bike Shop
This post was written by admin